Irrigation Emergency Help
It is always a good practice as a home owner to learn about all the cut offs and the shut offs of the utilities at your home, in case of an emergencies, before it happens to avoid panicking when happens.
The following are the typical scenario of an emergency cases for irrigation system and the suggested tips and a possible actions you may take to stop the water before help arrives.
System starts and does not stop. Or one zones comes on and does not go off .or gushing water from underground or broken water lines.
Check out these tips which might help you shutting the water off:
1. Stay Calm
2. Try Turning the timer off. Sometimes your timer is malfunctioning or faulty. This should stop the water flowing. If not, water will continue to run.
3. Try cutting the power off to the timer. This is done by disconnecting the electrical power supply to the timer. Warning Do not open the timer and rip off the wires. If timer is located inside the building , unplug the transformer from the wall receptacle. Or if timer unit is located outside, try to locate the breaker for your timer and then turn the breaker off.If you tried these and the water is still running…
4. Try to locate your water shut off to the sprinkler system. Every system is different. Depends on who install the system at the beginning. Properly designed and installed by the code, should have a backflow preventer device at the source. Which enables you to quickly shut off the water to the malfunctioning system.
5. Turn off the Backflow – These are various devices that you might have to locate in order to turn off the system. Typical commonly used backflow devices are shown below. There are different types and manufacturers and the one shown below are manufactured by Watts. Other manufacturers look more or less the same. These units are primarily located on the side of the house normally the same side as the water meter. Or close to the water meter. You need to just turn one of the handles only a quarter of turn as shown below and the system should stop.
If you could not locate any of the devices or similar shut offs valves. You have no choice but to…
6. Cut the water off at the meter, that might also cut the water off to your house too. Water meters are normally located by the curb side. Or close to the street. This needs a special tool called a water meter key. As shown below, which you can purchase from any plumbing shop. In its absence try using a ranch or a similar tool to turn the meter off as demonstrated below.
Typical Backflow Devices Manufactured by Watts
When the handle is in a cross position with the pipe the water is closed and when in horizontal position water is open.
Water meter in ground on open position
Water Meters in open and closed position
Try to stop the running water, if you can, call our office at (407) 275 9779 or you can email us by clicking Irrigation Help and our team of experts will help you repair the problem.
Irrigation Trouble Shooting Guide
The following is a helpful guide to help you figure out what’s gone wrong and how to fix it.
|Watering stops and starts again|
|Too many start times set||Check program and turn off all extra start times|
|Season adjustment is set for more than 100%||Reset Season adjust|
|Faulty valve solenoid||Replace solenoid|
|Damaged or shorted wiring||Inspect and repair wire|
|Faulty timer||Replace timer|
|No Display reading|
|No power to timer||Check power source|
|Faulty transformer||Replace transformer|
|Blown fuse||Repair problem then/ Replace fuse|
|Sprinkler Did not come on|
|Timer is off||Turn the timer on|
|Blown fuse||Repair problem/Replace the fuse|
|Damaged timer/ wiring to valves||Repair wire|
|Faulty, timer or transformer/ sensor||Replace timer, sensor or transformer|
|Damaged wiring||Repair wiring|
|One zone does not work|
|Damaged wiring at timer or valve||Repair wiring / replace timer|
|Sprinkler heads dry|
|water supply is off/Backflow shut||Turn supply on|
|Faulty valve solenoid||Replace solenoid|
|Flow control at valve is closed||Open flow control if any|
|wires not connected/ broken||Connect / Re connect wire|
|Debris in valve/ solenoid or metering orifice||Disassemble valve and clean|
|Water Runs non stop||Faulty valve||Replace /Repair valve|
|Damaged diaphragm||Replace the diaphragm|
|Damaged or cracked valve body||Replace valve|
|Water leaks from sprinkler head continually|
|Debris in the valve||Clear debris from valve|
|Damaged diaphragm||Replace diaphragm|
|Debris in solenoid||Clean solenoid|
|Faulty solenoid||Replace solenoid|
|Sprinkler head doesn’t spray|
|Screen plugged with debris||Clean screen|
|Sprinkler head does not rotate|
|Not enough water pressure||Repair zone valve|
|Debris in sprinkler head||Clear debris from sprinkler head|
|Sprinkler rotates in one direction and stops|
|Not enough water pressure to rotate sprinkler||Split zone in two/faulty valve|
|Faulty sprinkler head||Replace sprinkler|
|Missing nozzle||Replace nozzle|
Sprinklers will not pop up
|Not enough water pressure||Split the zone|
|Master or zone valves not completely open||Repair /Replace the valve|
|Flow control on zone valve not fully open||Open flow control|
|Debris between sprinkler riser and riser seal||Clear debris|
|Sprinklers “stick up” after watering|
|Damaged stem or riser seal||Replace sprinkler head|
|Damaged retraction spring||Replace sprinkler head|
|Debris in the head||Remove debris|
|Internal filter clogged||Clean screen|
|Water flooding from sprinkler|
|Missing nozzle||Install nozzle|
|Faulty or missing sprinkler head||Replace sprinkler|
Contact us to request an estimate for any of our irrigation services.